Monday, January 11, 2010

Simple Gifts

There's a song entitled Simple Gifts that my sister and I used to sing when we were little. I can't remember the words at present, but both the title and the tune have stuck with me. Today I am thankful for simple gifts, for little mercies.

Last night, I had a meltdown. Sometimes, I really feel like God has abandoned me. These last few months have shaken my faith. Occasionally, I wonder if God is mocking me, if my life is some sort of cruel cosmic joke. I had a good rant and a good cry last night and expressed some feelings that hadn't made it out before. This morning, I ended up walking to and from school with another mom that I rarely talk to. She went deep this morning, pouring out her heart about her concerns over her children. I mostly listened. Nodded, made affirming or sympathetic noises and just listened. As I turned into my house, this mom thanked me. And I realized that my life isn't a joke. This isn't wasted time. I don't understand what God is doing. I have a lot of questions. But I have learned to listen and to accept a person's pain without judgement or "advice". A simple gift, listening is. Not one that we like to use though. Today, this simple gift blessed us both.

This evening, I had company over for dinner. My sisters came over along with a friend from high school who will be moving back to Europe. My friend arrived first. The house was a mess, the boys were fighting, Aris was doing homework, and I was cooking. But my friend didn't notice the mess. He sat down and helped Aris with homework. He didn't flinch at the screaming fighting boys. When the smoke alarm went off repeatedly because I turned on the wrong burner, he grabbed a dishcloth and fanned the sensor until it stopped. Our dinner guest blessed me so much with his simple gift of acceptance. It was such a blessing to have my company matter much more than the state of my house or my children. Thank you and safe journeys, my friend!

Today I am thankful for a dinner my children ate without complaining, excellent store bought pie, friends and family, and simple little gifts like acceptance and listening. May you be blessed wherever your journey finds you. :)

1 comment:

  1. You sure are right... listening is such an important part of life. It is so easy to overlook the little ways that we impact others.

    Sometimes (well most of the time) I have to remind myself that we are supposed to run the race of life with endurance... "the race that is set before us." (Heb. 12:1) Not the race that looks glamorous and fun, or the race that I think that I should be participating in... or the one that seems like it would be more "meaningful". I have to be content with the path that is set before me and put all my effort into that one.

    So I am glad to hear that you could find meaning in the quality time you had. The opportunity to invest in your friends and family is one that I know I have appreciated on many occasions.

    ReplyDelete