Friday, January 22, 2010

Study Guide and Recital

Kian went to Grandma's today. She graciously volunteered to take him so that I could get some work done. Steve dropped him off on the way to work and I took the kids in to school. Zane was super excited about his Pajama Penguin PIzza Party at school today while Aris didn't want to go to school at all. Eventually I got everyone settled and headed home to attack my study guide. Next Friday I start my doula course. Before beginning the workshop, I have to hand in a 38 question study guide. I was anticipating 30 mins worth of work but instead discovered that most of the questions took about that long to answer. Over the course of this week I have been slowly plugging away. As of yesterday, I was at question 21. As of this afternoon, I am done!!! I am so excited and proud of myself! Not only is this the first "school" work I've done in about 7 years, I think this is the earliest I've ever finished an assignment. I was a pro-procrastinator during my school years and had perfected the art of all-nighters. Breaking such a big habit feels so good! I still have two book to read before Friday, so I'm not completely out of the woods yet. But I'm close.

This evening Aris and I went to a graduation recital. We live near a very good music school. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the best music schools in Canada. One of the girls in my yoga class is a flautist and she invited us to her recital. Aris has been having a very rough time recently so we decided to have a mommy/daughter date. There were some conditions like she had to have a rest after school and be on very good behaviour. She had a meltdown at the school, but then met the rest of the conditions. She got all dressed up and made sure that I was too. Aris packed her own bag with books and stuffies in case she got bored. What a good little girl she was! Everyone was amazed at how well-behaved she was. After the recital we were invited to a reception where Aris was once again very well behaved. She even managed not to have a meltdown at bedtime. Unfortunately she's lobbying for a later bedtime since she is a "big" girl. We'll see how tomorrow goes. :)

I had a lovely time at the concert. The music was lovely. I just closed my eyes and let the music wash over me. And I managed not to have life envy. Once upon a time I wanted to be a musician. I would still like to be a musician, but that's not where my life has gone. I really miss playing. But although I loved the music, I didn't walk out feeling sad. For the first time, I feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be. This feels good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment