Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Indoor Plumbing

Yes, you read that right. Today I am very thankful for indoor plumbing. I know, I was planning on writing about Kian today, but I got sidetracked. Instead I am thankful for running water, bathtubs and water heaters.

Kian screamed for almost an hour and a half. He started screaming as we left the school after dropping Aris off and continued screaming until almost 11am. He wouldn't nurse, wouldn't take a sucky, wouldn't be distracted. He wouldn't even eat chocolate! You know it's bad when he refuses chocolate. :( My wonderful husband was asked to pray several times for me, and eventually he suggested a bath. Upstairs we went, him screaming, me trying to breathe. Without any effort from me, other than turning on the tap, nice warm water poured into the tub. It took some effort, but eventually Kian calmed down. He discovered that when he moved his legs, he created bubbles. Bubbles are fun. :) While he splashed, I crocheted. After a long time in the tub, Kian emerged happy and he stayed happy until just before supper when he fell and bit his lip. But those hours of peace were lovely.


Aris and I are currently reading the Little House series which has made me realize how pampered we are in North America. When the Ingalls wanted to take a bath during the winter, they had to melt snow, heat the water over the fire and then bathe in a small tin tub. Having a bath is something that I take for granted. Today I am so thankful for little mercies like running water, a large permanent bath tub, water heaters and how they combine to stop a little boy's screaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment