Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blackberries and Bread

 I have a confession to make: I am a foodie.  On several occasions, I have commented to Steve that I appreciate beauty through food. :)  Some people experience God through nature, for me it's through my tastebuds. :)  Consequently, I spend a lot of time reading and talking about food as well as cooking, baking and eating.  I have an entire shelf full of cookbooks in my kitchen and would love to add more.  Steve doesn't think I need any more cookbooks though so I'm currently borrowing them from either my mother or the library.  I have to say finding cookbooks at the library has made me heart it even more. :)

 However, as much as I love food, I am not the healthiest eater on the planet.  As a parent this is a little bit scary.  This is even scarier as I'm in charge of most of the food that gets eaten by my family.  So we are on a journey to eat healthier.  At the same time, we are also working on eating more local food.  These two objectives seem to blend together nicely.

 Last week I found a bread recipe that is both a less sweet whole wheat and makes the quantity I wanted (three loaf pans).  I know that's strange, but I have three loaf pans so I wanted to make sure they all got used.  So far I've made bread three times.  My family loves the bread.  My friends love this recipe.  It does not last long.  And the best part is getting my kids involved and teaching them about where our food comes from and the processes involved.  It won't be long before Aris can make bread by herself. :)

 After dance tonight, Aris and I went grocery shopping.  The very first thing we saw was some fruit that was on sale.  Since she asked very nicely, I agreed that we could buy some.  Later she asked for some candy.  I said that she could have some, but we'd have to put back the blackberries.  She decided that she'd rather have the fruit! Yay! I am so thankful that my kids are loving their healthy, yummy food.  They are enthusiastic participants in our quest to eat local.  We have a long way to go on our healthy eating journey, but I am so thankful by their response. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment