Friday, April 23, 2010

Independence

 Being the youngest of three, my baby is constantly trying to be big too.  He wants to walk just like his older siblings.  At two, they were more than happy to ride or be worn.  Not this little dude! Every time we go somewhere, Kian protests " Ah wok! Ah wok!".   If we're running late and he must ride, his protests become shrill and frantic.  Not only does he want to walk, but he also wants to climb everything,  drink out of big kid cups, and use the toilet.  In short, he longs for independence.

 Like Kian, I want independence too.  I want to be in control of my own life, to make my own decisions.  But I can't.  There are things that I just can't do on my own.  Other things where I need to realize that I'm part of a partnership and that I can't be completely independent anymore.  This does not come easy.  In some ways, I am just like my son wanting to do it all myself, to be just like the big kids.

 I am thankful that my dear Heavenly Father and my husband know my limitations.  Just like me with Kian, they encourage and allow me to be independent.  Sometimes they may make suggestions that it would be wise for me to heed.  Other times they let me run and then catch me when I fall.  And just like with my little man, God(and often Steve) are always there to pick me up, comfort me and snuggle me back in.  As Kian grows, He will be increasingly able to do things on his own.  There will even be some things that I expect him to do all by himself.  Thankfully this is one area where my relationship with God differs.  He will always be there, no matter how old I get. :) For this I am always thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment