Sunday, March 6, 2011

Scattered Sundays

 I don't often cook during the weekends.  This should be the time that I cook, as Steve is around to manhandle the children as necessary, but for some reason I don't.  Instead we either end up eating leftovers, doing something special like a snacky supper or Steve cooks.  He is an excellent breakfast-maker which is quite helpful as my brain doesn't kick into gear until I've been up for about an hour.  Trust me, you don't want me cooking first thing in the morning.  Thankfully, Steve is a morning person.  He's also a very inventive cook and enjoys creating in the kitchen.

 This evening Steve prepared "Steve's special of the day".  He tends to make pasta dishes, although he does branch out into other areas occasionally.  Pasta tends to be his favourite.  Tonight he began by sauteeing minced garlic, raisins, walnuts, and sunflower seeds in sesame oil for 5-10 minutes.  Then he added in crushed tomatoes, basil, chili powder, cinnamon, sugar, molasses and liquid smoke.  When this was all mixed and heated through, he tossed it with hot pasta. Surprisingly, it was delicious. I'm never sure what to expect when Steve cooks dinner, but this goes on the make again list.  My personal favourite is when he uses curry paste in the pasta sauce, but we've been out of that for about a year. Clearly a trip to the Asian grocery is in order.

 After dinner, my parents came over to babysit*.  We knew we needed a date, we just didn't know what we wanted to do.  After heading out the door, we decided to walk to Chapters. It probably would have been a better idea to decide that before we left, but we didn't freeze.  Thankfully most of the snow has been either shovelled or packed down enough that my shoes weren't a problem.  I can't believe it's March!  Snow, please go away!

 The date was lovely.  Upon our return home, a close friend popped in to say her  verses to me(we're memorizing Colossians in a year).  After we said our verses and my parents left, we had a good chat.  I've been praying for her and felt that I needed to speak some strong truth to her.  It went really well and she was encouraged by my words. Praise God!  It's been a scattered day with a lot happening, but I'm really happy.  Yay for weekends!

*The babysitting arrangements were a story all in itself.  It started yesterday when I called my parents to see if they could babysit.  While on the phone, I had a client call and ended up spending yesterday afternoon at the hospital.  All turned out to be well, but I decided that we would just hang out at home.  However, I still really wanted to get out with Steve, so I called my parents again this afternoon.  They agreed to babysit, but we figured it would be best to see how Aris was doing first.  She wasn't feeling well, and although my parents were still amenable, Aris wanted us to stay home.  I called and cancelled. Then Aris changed her mind, feeling guilty that we were staying home because of her.  I called back again.  Thankfully, they agreed to come and the kids did really well watching nature documentaries.  Aris said they could babysit only on the condition that they brought their Planet Earth DVDs.  Why does my child prefer to watch documentaries to videos?  Not that I'm complaining....

No comments:

Post a Comment