Sunday, March 20, 2011

Toronto Adventure

 About a month ago, I saw an early bird sale on tickets for Canada Blooms.  As I've been before with my mom and enjoyed it, this event registered as something I actually wanted to go to.  But as time went by, it didn't seem like it would work.  Oh well...there's always next year, I thought.

 Then on Thursday, Steve called from work.  "Love, my boss just offered me three tickets to Canada Blooms.  Are you interested?"  Was I interested? Um...YESSS!!!! Excited, I tried to get someone to go with me, but I either didn't hear back or people were out of town.  Eventually we decided that Steve would drive down with me, drop me off and then take the boys to the Science Centre as we have a membership there.  I wasn't enthusiastic about going on my own, but figured the alone time would be good.

 While shopping with my best friend on Friday night, she asked if anyone was going with me.  When she heard our new plan, she volunteered to come with.  I had asked Kate, but she had staunchly replied negatively.  That was fine as I wasn't forcing anyone to come with.  However, I was very excited when she agreed to come.

 We left around mid-morning, reaching Toronto just before noon.  Steve dropped us off, and we trying to be smart, left our jackets in the van.  Although it was chilly, it wasn't like we were going to be outside.  Little did we know what our day would hold.  We entered the venue, looking for signs for Canada Blooms. There were signs for the Sportsman Show and signs for Anime North, but none for our event.  Loitering near the Guest Services desk, we heard someone else be told that Canada Blooms was at an entirely different location.  Tentatively, we approached the desk and asked for help.  The man behind the counter was extremely helpful.  He pulled off a map and gave extremely good directions.  Then we were off.

 At this point, I was extremely thankful that Kate was there.  Had I been on my own, I would have panicked.  Although I'm a confident user of the bus system here, I've only used the Toronto transit system once, and that was with others.  Together, we figured it out, although it was much more her than me.  Once we  figured out where we were, the journey became much more fun.  On one side of the streetcar was the Lake Huron, downtown Toronto on the other.  We had a great view.  There was also great people watching to be had as both Anime North and a Comic Con were happening that day.  A woman dressed up as a demon complete with red skin, horns and wings boarded the streetcar with us.  On our way to the station, we passed several girls dressed in the typical anime dresses.  It was very fun.

 It turned out that the comic con was being held at the same venue as Canada Blooms.  The people watching was great there!  I did however have a moment(several really) of geek envy.  Hopefully I will remember so Steve and I can go there next year.

 Compared to our adventure and the cosplayer sightings, Canada Blooms wasn't very exciting.  But I did enjoy myself.  Greenery and flowers always helps make me feel better.  It was a long day, but a happy one.  After our return home,  Steve and I capped it off with a couch date complete with wings and the sixth Harry Potter.  All in all, yesterday was a good day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment