Friday, August 19, 2011

Busy Busy Busy

Wow...has this summer ever flown by! The first couple weeks were quieter, although the late end to school made for a very abrupt transition.  Soon it was time for camp, after which I went away to DC.  A week after returning, Steve and I went to Toronto for several nights. Oh the bliss of child-free time!  Then my sister-in-law got married which was followed closely by a week of VBS. Oh, and did I mention that I took a last minute client so I've been waiting for a baby this week?  Not to mention the family events, important meetings, baby showers and random other things that had to happen this week.

 VBS was fantastic! We attend church in a small town about 10 minutes away. Each year, the three churches combine for VBS( they also sponsor a refugee family together). Because I was away, I had missed the pre-VBS volunteer meeting which meant that I knew almost no one walking in on Monday morning ten minutes late. *sigh*  Thankfully a friend of mine from church got my children into their groups and showed me where to stow my purse and grab a volunteer t-shirt.

 I volunteered with the jr. youth, specifically the gr. 7 girls.  They were, without a doubt, the best group I've ever worked with.  The kids listened and participated in group with very little foolishness.  They listened well in the large group and sang with enthusiasm. Of course, the other leaders were awesome too. :)  It was a great week! After not working with youth for two years, this felt a bit like coming home.

 Over the course of the week, the VBS raised money for a refugee family the churches are sponsoring.  They also collected goods for a local refugee housing and settlement project.  The housing project is run by the organization Steve and I are with so we were extra excited to see them being supported.  The youth had a sleepover midway through the week during which they had a service project. They canvassed the town collecting bottles and funds for the refugee family.  During the evening, the youth raised over $1100 dollars! The VBS raised over $900, bringing the combined total to $2000.48.  Amazing!

 Not only was I hanging out with youth, I've also been waiting on a baby.  A friend contacted me on the weekend to see if I was available for a last minute client.  After some quick prayer and consultation with my husband and youth pastor(two separate people just in case clarification was needed), I agreed to take the client.  This added a first client visit, a hospital visit and a tentativeness about all plans to the mix this week.  No baby as of yet, so I'm still waiting. Hopefully soon!  On that note, I must head off to bed, but I hope to blog again soon. I still need to post about my amazing trip away. :) Good night, all! :)

2 comments:

  1. Celebrating being in His service is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart that you volunteered for the girls – we sometimes lose that biblical imperative for the older women to teach the younger women – the older men to teach the younger men – and everything is relative - for 7th grade firls you're an older woman – even though you're young. So I'm happy you did that – and your VBS sounds awesome – and waiting on a baby – that IS special – I heart that. Want to let you know that I just finished praying for that. I'm smiling because of what I read – I heart that too. God bless and keep you and each and every one of yours.

    ReplyDelete