Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What We've Been Eating

 Several years ago, we started eating local food.  Even though we live in the warmest part of Canada, eating local limits our food choices, especially during the winter.  For this reason(and many others) I look forward to the warmer months with great anticipation.  I can put away my savoury soups featuring many ways of serving squash, carrots, sweet potatoes and other root vegetables, and instead focus on the spring and summer bounty.

 Unfortunately, I had a rough spring. The stress of finishing up with our church left me drained, emotionally and physically. I lost my creativity and my drive.  But after some much needed rest and vacation, my creativity and drive returned.  Most of my energy seems to have been packed in the checked luggage and hasn't arrived yet though.  I keep looking for it in the mail. :)

 Earlier this year, I bought a Moosewood cookbook.  I skimmed through it, but got distracted and put it aside.  It sat mostly unread on my shelf until two weeks ago.  Desperate for something to do with squash, I opened it up.  Let me tell you, that was a good move! (My children may respectfully disagree with that statement.) I have had so much fun cooking. Over the last two weeks I've made Greek Vegetable Pie, Mediterranean Eggplant Casserole, Pasta with Butternut squash and sage(I used acorn), vegetarian lasagna(with TVP instead of ground beef- my own creation and Zane's favourite), Shallot Vinaigrette, Pear and Thyme Vinaigrette, Cream of Brocoli soup(from my soup cookbook) and zucchini fritters.  I also made grilled and fried peaches.  My friends, we have eaten well!

 I have some recipes I'm excited to make this week and look forward to finding new ones to try as well.  I derived great pleasure and satisfaction from cooking(also from eating).  Being able to feed my family well(at least in my opinion) while being a good steward and using what is in my fridge has been quite rewarding.

 What have you been cooking?  Is anyone else making lifestyle changes? I forgot to mention that we're cutting even further back on meat, for ethical and monetary reasons.  Another reason why I am thankful for the Moosewood cookbook. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love eating local. Although, here in MD we have LOTS of choices. I need to learn to do more with eggplant. Maybe I'll check out the cookbook. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, so glad to hear that the cooler month foods are inspiring you! I LOVE squashes and all things fall, so be prepared for lots of yummy recipes on my part. Looking forward to reading more about your creations :D We definitely have to get together soon - and then I will FINALLY give you that maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete